Monday, June 14, 2010

roll 'em

I love movies. Always have...and most likely always will-though I wonder if they'll be able to come out with just as good ones as my childhood. I realized today one of the probably many reasons why I love movies. The ones that I love are always associated with memories and moments from my life.

There's Little Women- I would always watch this with mom-it was our time to cuddle and just for 2 hours feel like we were in a house of girls and not all boys. I also connected with this movie cause I always wanted a sister and felt like this was as close as I could get.

Twister...well...I grew up in Oklahoma and always LOVED storms/tornadoes and the feeling I would get when I saw one blowing in. (mom also shares this passion with me-once there was a tornado coming. we were all in our "safe room" and dad had to go outside and get mom to come in who was just standing and looking at the sky)

the Indiana Jones/old Star Wars series. These we ALWAYS watched when we would go visit Grandpa Richards on their big screen tv which always seemed cool. Plus all my brothers loved these movies which meant I instantly loved them as well. I even had a phase where I wanted to be an archeologist.

Father of the Bride (I & II). This movie always reminded me of dad. Very loving and protective of his family and very aware of finances ;) Being the only daughter I always knew we had a special connection/bond from father-daughter dances to now being the father of the bride.

Family Stone. This movie me and mom discovered-I can't remember now, who found out about it, but we both just LOVE to watch this movie. I love the feeling of family in this movie-it's very accurate. There are parts that make you cry, laugh, and it just reminds me of our family. Like in this family, teasing/joking is the main love language of my family. We obviously love each other but we're not afraid to call each other out on our stuff...and when ever we get together we just seem to fall back into our different roles as kids.

Though I don't have special connections to ALL movies...well...I have connections with most. I don't know why, it's just how my brain works...or at least I remember where I was in life/what I was doing when I saw a movie-so watching them again feels like when you look through an old photo album.

I know most people watch movies for entertainment and that's cool, but there is so much more to be gained by actively watching/thinking/applying things to your own life.

shrug, I dunno...I just watched family stone and it's like taking a quick trip back home again or seeing an old friend.
alright, alright, enough of the warm mushy stuff- go watch any of the above movies if you have not seen them-that's an order!

2 comments:

  1. When "Little Women" came out in the Theatres I took you and a couple of your little friends to see it. I really thought the movie was so beautiful and heart warming! I guess you did too. 3 young single adult sisters from our ward "The Shore girls" were sitting right in front of us and they were all sobbing by the end of it. You wanted to know why they were crying?!?

    Twister ...ahhh another favorite. Actually I knew we were going to get hit by a storm so I took Leah the wolf dog from: well ...you know where, for a quick walk so she wouldn't freak out. After we got back I was feeding her and chaining her to her dog house when your dad came out and said, "I haven't told the kids why but they are playing in the "safe room" so you should proabably come in too." Just then we both looked up and diretly over our heads was a huge rotating, concave cone! Yikes ...the "cone of silence"! Facinating to watch and almost hard to walk away from. If a twister had spun out it would have landed right on top of our heads. Yikes! We were jokig about how funny it would be if the tornado came down and picked up the dog house. Oops! there goes Leah floating along still attached to her chain! I guess you had to be there.

    I loved the dynamics and interaction of all the family members in "Family Stone". So entertaining to watch their faces and just know what they are thinking. They're just your average family. No one is perfect but they are so loyal and love each other anyway. Just as it should be. I'm happy to say that this is one movie you introduced me to. After we watched it together one Christmas break I loved it so much I had to go out and buy my very own copy! It's amazing how when watching a movie the years will melt away and you are right back where you were the very first time you saw it. Magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget Back to the Future, we always watched that at Grandpa's too.

    ReplyDelete