Friday, April 30, 2010

Transitions: Turbulent or Thrilling?

I've been thinking a lot about transitions lately and how I have dealt with them over the years...ok or rather, avoided them.

As a dear friend once said: I truly am a walking contradiction. On one hand I love having a set schedule/routine, something that creates stability in your life. At the same time every now and then I will get stir-crazy and restless, and will want to just go do something random and unique. Point in case: one night my friends and I were all in this bored/restless mood and so we bought oatmeal, and rootbeer and drove around provo mixing the two in our mouths and one of us would be somewhat near someone else on a sidewalk or a park/somewhere and would procede to pretend to throw-up while the rest watched the reactions laughing in the bushes. Crazy?! absolutely, prolly the craziest thing I have done to date. Don't worry, when I get this spontaneous mood I am more likely to catch a movie on the fly or go for a walk, or a road trip or something- a lil less gross. So though I love spontaneous things and events just naturally unfolding on the fly, I don't handle transitions as well.

Having said all that, I think I'm getting better. For example, when I started school out at BYU I was on the verge of stressing out and panic attacks for the first couple of weeks until I got into the groove. Ya know, the usual symptoms: throat in a constantly clenched state, feels hard to breathe, rapid pulse, loss of appetite, and tears never seem too far away. Yeah....basically a wreck.

Though like I said, I think I'm getting better. I think the mission helped a lot too-the constant need for rolling with the punches and not knowing if you're moving to a new area/getting a new companion helps you to just relax and go with it cause otherwise you'd always be a wreck.

A lil mini transition that I'm going through at the moment is coming back here to Provo for summer. Now this is a mini mini mini transition. Transition one: my roommate is gone- all graduated and off saving the world and my room is incredibly EMPTY and CLEAN both of which freak me out a lil bit. Transition two: no school....no structure until I find a full time job-I hate feeling like I'm not a contributing member of society so believe me, i'm trying. Transition three: thinking about how I only have two more semesters and then I'm done...off in the real world which somehow doesn't appear remotely as fun to me, but that's just me (of course I'm lucky enough to love my major, clases, etc).

I know it's just a matter of time, pretty soon this will feel normal and I'll get a job which will help GREATLY and until then I just have to remind myself to be open to change and what learning will come from it. I mean, I always love the transitions after the fact and see how it's helped shape who I am, it's just hard to remember that on this side of the transition.
I wanna learn to embrace and enjoy the transitional moments of my life though-I guess they're kind of the most exciting part of my life- the catalyst that sparks change and development right? ....right.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your "new" transition should be pretty exciting! Congratulations sweetie, we are really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete