Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hmmmm

So today was AWESOME!
After sleeping in (whoopsie) and quickly doing my jobs for cleaning checks I went to the bank to deposit some checks, got gas in frida, and then tried unsuccessfully to find my fav kind of microwave popcorn. Neither smith's, macey's, nor walmart carried it.....did I just use neither/nor in the correct way?

shrug, anywho. Then the great part of the day started-me and Cody went on a hike-i can't remember what it's called now, but it was way easy with some nice waterfalls (and no, it wasn't bridal veil falls). Pics to come on that. Then it was dinner at applebee's then home where I read a lil of crime and punishment/took a short nap. I'm really liking this book so far-can tell that I might be able to really get into it.

So the reason for my title tonight- we watched avatar tonight. And really that's all I have to say...hmmm......I dunno, I just don't feel strongly either way- I didn't LOVE it, but I didn't HATE it. Obviously this movie got the press and attention it did because of the technology put in to it. The story just...didn't really do it for me-it was predictable and cliche (as many people have pointed out to me, it really was just fern gully mixed with pocahontas (sp?) I mean, yes there is blatant propaganda in it, and yes there was some obvious manipulation of the audience's feelings with camera angles/effects etc....but that's just it, I STILL didn't really feel anything. During the battle, sure I knew who I was supposed to want to win-the natives but I just wasn't emotionally invested in them. Maybe I'm heartless, shrug, but it was more like watching a national geographic special. Sure it's sad when the lion catches the gazelle-and you kinda want to see it evade the lion just to be different, but either way...it's nature, whatever happens is the circle of life and you move on.
Strangely I really don't feel a desire to see it again either. I think what bugs me when it boils down to it is the extreme depiction of both sides. Yes I realize it's easier to make a clearer point when you deal in absolutes (man=evil, nature=good) but it's just not realistic and we don't walk away from this movie knowing how to apply the principles in the real world cause we're not crazy gun slinging macho guys who want to cut down trees. We're normal people who most likekly enjoy nature. I'd appreciate a more balanced and realistic view of things because our world is not in absolutes-thus the solutions to environmental problems are not easy. I mean, if we went with this movie's philosophy we'd stop any further development, abandon our society, and go live on berries in the jungle-sure a nice sentiment but not realistic or helpful.

whatever, i can see the merit in it but will prolly not watch it again.

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I was rooting for the humans to win the whole time. Even though they lost, I like to think that after they left the planet they then bomb the crap out of it killing all the natives anyway, because that's what would happen in real life.

    ReplyDelete