Saturday, January 15, 2011

social network

I love my life but I am constantly in a bi-polar relationship with technology. I see the good that comes from it but it makes me nervous when no one seems to realize how dependent we are all getting on it. For example Cody thinks that eventually all of our home phones etc. will all be through the internet etc. Tv is pretty much already going that way with netflix, apple tv, hulu, etc. Pretty soon you'll by tv packages online rather than sattelite or cable providers.

I of course hate this idea. Of course most people can't get over the fact of how cool the innovation of it would be and all, but I don't really care-the tv is not broken so don't fix it (I will still watch the same shows I watch now-then so why does it somehow need to be provided in a diff way?) Plus, I don't like putting all of my eggs into one basket technologically speaking. I don't want my phones and my tv and everything hooked up through the internet.

Why? Well what if it crashes-something goes wrong, like with all of these internet protestors who are crashing sites cause they don't agree with what's happening to the wikileaks guy. Next thing ya know you're out of internet for awhile and therefore can't use your phones, watch tv, etc. It's just annoying. I'd rather have all of my means for entertainment and communication set up in different things so that if one breaks down I can go to the other, but hey, that's just me.

Last night we watched the social network movie on how facebook got started. I had also bought code a book on it that he's been reading since christmas and letting me know about it a bit. I'm glad he did cause I would have been so confused in the movie-awful editing in that they don't really ever explain to you what's going on while jumping forward in time and then backward in time only you don't know that at first cause it's not THAT forward in time and Mark looks the same-it's not like we can recognize oh ok, this is in the future cause he's older...he looks the same! kinda poor quality but whatever.

It just made me depressed and weary of the whole entrepeneur tech world which is what code loves. I of course know that it would be different if he ever came up with something cause he'd never surround himself with losers or immoral people like that but still-it's enough to make one nervous.

plus it made me mad at how dependent I am on facebook. Sure I could not use it but how would I keep up with everything in my friends' lives-can't call every hour of the day. it just goes to show once you have a product that everyone needs/uses/loves it doesn't really matter what you do/did as a person morally to get there, nothing could make facebook fail at this point-cause you couldn't get all of those people to stop using it...it's like an internet drug, and yet at the same time people are making friends, staying in touch, etc. how is it a bad thing? Well...it's not it's just....disconcerting when you realize how dependent you are on something....moderation in all things right?

3 comments:

  1. I agree. The internet isn't reliable enough for me to trust it with everything and Facebook is great as long as it isn't your ONLY form of communication. A letter or phone call are nice every once in a while too.CONNECT!2011 is all about keeping in touch different ways. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh i just watched that movie last night. i was super confused at the beginning of the movie too but eventually picked up on what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Dan and I don't have internet at home right now, so we have to go to McDonald's or wait 'til we visit my parents, and it is driving me crazy! I worried myself the other day when I was actually walking around our apartment complex trying to get a connection because I just wanted to surf the net! Dan was laughing at me, but it made me realize how ridiculous it is. Maybe we'll never get internet just to make a statement. Or maybe we will. Probably.

    ReplyDelete