Friday, November 19, 2010

accio ring!

It was a close call. Almost started freaking out a bit. So the engstroms and ourselves got together for a quick bite and then we were off to see the 7th installment of Harry Potter (it was really good btw, prolly one of the most loyal to the books). When suddenly I realized that I wasn't wearing my ring (no, not my engagement ring) but my ring from ireland that I bought myself...oh i dunno years and years ago-I think 5-6 years ago actually). I had that horrible sinking feeling cause I could not remember when it was first not there.

Something you have to realize with me-I get attached to things. I name my car and talk to it like it has a personality. Our car is Henry (he's a hyundai)-he had to warm up to me-had to deal wih jealousies surrounding my car before I got married. Her name is Frida. She's a ford fusion (I say is cause she's still frida and I still think she's feeling mad at me for giving her up and sending her off to Texas). My laptop's name is Toshi (short for Toshiba) though cody may have come up with that....I can't remember, but you get the idea.

I NEVER take off my jewelry. I only wear three things. My necklace that I inherited from my maternal grandmother-the charm is from Ireland too, my ring that I bought from ireland on my right hand, and now my engagement ring. That's it. Those items never come off. Not to be tmi about it, but we're talking: sleeping/showers/etc.-doesn't matter I always wear them. I don't care if it's not good for them etc I won't take them off. With how scatter-brained I can be, they wouldn't last a few months with me taking them on and off all the time.

So I'm sitting there feeling very naked without my ring and also being reminded about how I'm not wearing my necklace because the chain broke and it's sitting at home. I'm beginning to think that something will soon happen to my wedding ring too the way things are going for me and my jewelry.

So we get home from the movie and we start looking though I have no idea where or when it could have fallen off cause I didn't take it off. I said a prayer that if it was possible to find, that I could find it at the same time feeling the unlikeliness of it.

So we searched around pretty good and Cody even went to look out in the car even though I hadn't been in it since yesterday. I was beginning to accept its fate, and was surprised at how sad I felt (it's just a ring...) but what can I say-I get attached to things. I started to cross the room to get my journal to write some last words about this cool ring that had been with me through a lot when I kicked/stepped on something on the floor. I looked down and there was my ring on the floor. It was such a crazy feeling and having just seen Harry Potter-it felt a little like magic. I'm so greatful for tender mercies.

Even now I'm trying to shake my hand or do something to have it slip off but it won't-it's loose sure, but it won't slide over the knuckle on its own...shrug.

phew.

p.s. Harry Potter was way good-though dark enough to where I think I'd not have younger kids go to it.

Looks like tomorrow we'll have a cold snap and lots of cheering to do at a football and a basketball game (that is if we can get in-sorry, still bitter.)

2 comments:

  1. I remember when we went to the Scottish games with aunt Kris and we looked in all of the booths to find you a ring but you didn't like the ones they had so you ordered yours on line though if I recall ...I got to pay the bill. Hah! I'm sorry that the necklace from your grandma broke. Do you think it can be fixed? Be sure to bring it with you when you come for Christmas and I will have the jeweler near us see if he can repair it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still mourn the loss of my African ring. It's somewhere in Selmash... I know how you feel. I'm really glad you found your ring!!!

    ReplyDelete