Sunday, February 28, 2010

Today was an interesting day...I've been thinking a lot about our experience here, life, and the different situations and things that we are exposed to whether willingly or no. I watched the village today. My roommate hadn't seen it before-can you believe it?! I still remember seeing this in the theatres late at night with my mom and we were just gushing over it all the way home and the issues that it raises in it. Basically the plot is about a group of people that were in counseling because they had all lost someone close to them either through murder, accidents, or what have you. One of them had an idea of creating a village in the middle of a "game preserve" that would manage to keep the rest of the world out and using their logic-all the pain and suffering that came with it. Despite their best efforts they realize that they cannot escape the pains of life as they lose different town members due to sickness/lack of technology and supplies etc. In the end they finally tell the blind daughter of the leader their secret and send her to get medicine to save her fiance who has been stabbed by a mentally ill member of the community. It's pretty much my favorite love story of all time as she braves the woods and "those we don't speak of" to get to the outer wall of the preserve and find help/medicine.
...but that's not what I'm really thinking of now. I'm thinking of this idea of trying to escape the pains of life and the inevitability that they will find you anyway despite your best efforts of avoiding them. I guess it's on my mind today because one of my best friends is going through a very huge trial...a heart breaking trial. It's one of those things that just breaks your heart the moment you hear it...and you wonder what you can say. The worst is realizing that there's nothing you can say. What do you say when you don't understand what someone is going through, but you love them and you feel the heartache of the situation. It just brings it back home to me- the pain and suffering that we subject ourselves to by living, and yet somehow it's still worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment