Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I'll say yes to the dress but no thank you on the service...

So today I went for my final fitting of the wedding dress-technically i already went in for the "final" fitting but the owner thought they should press it again cause the seams were folding weird etc. So after two plus weeks the alterator lady calls. She's nice, don't get me wrong, and she has a cute accent but on the phone-not so cute...
so she calls and wants to set up a time for me to come in. the only problem is, i have to pick a time i think someone can come with me to help. So after some back and forth I settle on Tues at 5:30 (at least, i think it's tuesday-i'll feel bad if i made the mistake, shrug). So anywho, we show up to the shop on center street and no one is there-it's dark and there's a notice on the door notifying them that the water and electricity is turned off. I'm guessing they moved stores, but I wasn't informed that the move would have taken place. Luckily drea knew where the new store was. So we go to the new one up on state street-it's not open yet but it will be great once they get it up and running. The doors are locked so we stand around waiting for someone to happen to walk by and waved. Then we got taken in through a side door through some unfinished rooms and upstairs to the seamstress' area.
" you have a final fitting at 5:30?"
"i don't have anythin today."
She claims i said monday, whatever-you didn't tell me about the location change so we're even.
So she gives me this way complicated belt she made to go over the white one-it's bright pink for a lil splash of color at the reception. Luckily andrea understood it cause I was lost. I realized that I forgot to put on the slip. They had given me a used one for cheaper and i had kept it with the dress, but apparently in the move they couldn't find the exact one-why you wouldn't keep it with the dress is beyond me, but whatever, they're in transition. So a worker went and found a one size fits all slip. Then the seamstress starts ringing me up. I knew the total from the last invoice should have been around 170ish, but noticed that this one was over 200. Before I knew it, I was opening my mouth and questioning the new price. This is crazy for me-I hate being annoying or picky when it comes to these things. I would get sooo embarassed when mom would start arguing with the check-out lady in stores over a matter of cents. Granted, this wasn't just cents difference, but there I was opening my mouth and said-I think the belts were cheaper on the last invoice (noticing that they were now listed as sixty.) She gave this lil' scoff laugh and said yeah, they were put down as twelve dollars which doesn't make sense, that wouldn't even pay for an hour of seamstress work. Again I surprised myself- yes, but the owner gave us a special deal, I dunno...but you should ask him about it cause he did that. (i know, still not the strongest, most assertive way, but it's a lot for me.
So I can't remember what she said after that (it never got heated) but again I pointed out that the owner had done this for us, and there was another worker that had been there for every one of my visits said: if the owner put it down then just keep it how it was. She shrugged and said ok.
YES!
thank you one and all. So after she rang me up I was expecting her to show me how to do the other belt (there's two different options) on the dress while it was off me since it would be easier, but she just put it in the bag and that was that. Whatever, Andrea already knows how to do the other one. After she got the dress in the bag she just went back to her table-didn't say: ok, well you're all set to go, or something like that so we said thank you to which she said something like- have a fun wedding and we just left.
I know it sounds worse than it was, i mean, there wasn't any animosity or tone, just a general lack of taking care of the customer or guiding them through. So we found our way out of that unfinished labrynth by ourselves. I'm sure they'll have great service once they're up and running and not in the middle of transition, but seriously....not impressed.
oh well, I have the dress now-it's hanging up in my room now, it doesn't feel real. But now all of the absolute pieces of the puzzle are in place-the dress, the place, the rings (i ordered cody's yesterday and it should get here next week!)and...the guy! the most important piece of course 8)

2 comments:

  1. Let's just say ...Mommy is NOT happy with their complete lack of courtesy and professionalism! My sweet and kind daughter deserved much better on what should have been an exciting and special day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it all worked out. I've heard horror stories of bridal shops selling dresses and then closing up shop without notifying the brides. Yikes. I'm glad you got your dress. I'll bet it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete