Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Where Love Resides

"Young lovers seek perfection.

Old lovers learn the art
of sewing shreds together
and of seeing beauty
in a multiplicity of patches."


I was thinking about love today, particularly love as depicted in movies. Some of my favorite love stories in movies are actually not romantic comedies. Sure they are cute and funny but not real enough for me...it seems if you only have the bright and happy scenes of life it cheapens the love story. Love, to me, isn't about everything being wonderful and rose-colored (though more often than not it is), but Love is about constancy throughout a huge variety of emotions and experiences, the ups and downs, and I think that it is most beautiful when felt and shown in the middle of your deepest lows.

When I was young, I used to watch movies longing to experience love like the characters portrayed. Now, i'm reminded of a scene from sleepless in seattle where rosie o'donnel's character is telling Meg Ryan that she doesn't want to be in love, but that she wants to be in love in a movie. I have come to learn that those are two very distinctly different things.

It's funny, but now I watch these same movies that used to make me wish for that kind of love, but now...now, I feel how hollow the love in movies is cause I have found the love of my life. He's not some cookie cutter actor spitting out perfectly edited lines to woo me. He's real, I'm real, and our love is real. Neither of us is perfect but both are willing to forgive each other of our weaknesses and to not only start out on this adventure together, but to finish it as well.

Now when I watch these movies it only makes me all the more excited for my own real love story. It's more magical than any hollywood execs can come up with- cause it's mine.

p.s. watch: How To Make an American Quilt 8)

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully expressed. You and Cody may not be perfect but you have a life time to work towards perfection. And for now ...you are perfect enough.

    ReplyDelete