Monday, January 11, 2010

Rain Rain come on down-I won't complain I won't even frown

Every now and then again I need a good storm. I start to get restless if there's a long stint of similar (particularly dry) weather. It's like....the vibrancy of life seems to dry up along with the weather and I like my life lush, vibrant, and rich-not dried-up and....crispy....
I just need a huge down pour-the kind that hits your car so loud that it's hard to hear the music and you have to turn it up...the kind where you can't tell the difference between the rain coming down or the rain bouncing up from hitting the ground so hard. The kind where you have to turn on the headlights cause it's that cloudy. Yep, that's what I want. Those huge dark blue-ish green thunderheads rolling in and filling up the sky and the wind picks up and you know it's coming soon.
It's just such a good release and... cleansing....yea that's a good way of describing it. It's just so dramatic-but a good dramatic, a natural drama that is satisfying and some how I feel like my energies/emotions are tied up in the weather so it's a release for me too....like i'm storm from x-men.

Rain on my hopes
Rain on my soul
Rain on everything that I know

sigh.....

alas it's not meant to be in this dried-up valley and these pics will have to do:












I remember we were going on a long trip to utah back when we were in the station wagon. Back when kids wouldnt' wear seatbelts at night and make beds on the big back seats/on the floor depending on the pecking order. I remember we were somewhere in the midwest and it was late-just me and mike and dad were awake. I lay in the back seat in my bed of blankets and was looking out the window and then all of the sudden in the distance there were bright flashes as a lightening storm broke out. With every flash I could see the huge clouds in high relief that up until then had been completely invisible with the dark night. I remember being so fascinated watching this beautifully violent storm and yet it seemed so quiet and peaceful off on the horizon too....good memories...

8 comments:

  1. Yup, I thought so. Some how I just knew your storm pics would evolve into a tornado. Sure enough ...first the wall cloud, then the anvil, followed by a full blown twister. Ahhh, back in the good old days when we lived in tornado alley! Pop quiz ...Where are these quotes from: "We've got greenage!" "The cone of silence" and the classic: "Bend over, hug your knees, and kiss your butt good bye" The first one with the correct answer wins a prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh mom- obviously "twister" i was thinking of that movie and how i wanted to watch it 8)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to give you our tickets to the musical "A Chorus Line" since we aren't able to go but ...you'd have to come to Houston on Thursday to see it so you get the consolation prize instead. I will send you a copy of the movie "Twister"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. what were you doing up so late? My excuse is that I was working on my agenda for the DUP meeting I had to go to today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet! and my reason being...um...don't you know your own daughter? I'm a night owl and it wasn't that late-midnight my time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haaaah! You are your mother's daughter! I guess I was confused by the time date that's posted with your comment ...shows January 12, 2010 2:00 AM.

    ReplyDelete