Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sufjan Stevens brings nostalgia

I'm in an interesting mood tonight and not in a bad way. I just find myself having this sweeping view of my life so far in my mind. It's kinda cool and I think it's the closest I'll come to the feeling of watching a movie based on my life. Not a bad feeling, reflective. That's why I like Sufjan Stevens. His music just puts me in this nostalgic yet content sort of space and yet I only discovered him after the mish....well ok, on the mish cause sister king had a christmas cd of his and I fell in love with one particular song and couldn't wait til p-day just to listen to it. Can you tell? The hardest part was the music restrictions for me on the mish-like life without color 8)
I'm excited for the future. I can't really explain it but...every now and then I'm blessed with these lil impressions that things are going to work out, life is going to be good, and it's gonna be one cool story. I don't mean that in an egotistical way-I think everyone's life can fit into that description-you just have to have the right perspective. I used to and sometimes still feel self-conscious about the validity of my major/future plans etc.
Just a lil while ago I was talking to mom saying: I'm capable, smart-ish, can do anything I put my mind to, so why couldn't I have wanted to be a doctor or something that has a very clear, obvious, career path?! Why is it that the one thing that truly fills me with passion and joy (humanities: art, music, etc.)is something very abstract and not obvious when it comes to making money from it etc. It would just be so much easier to pick a logical/safe profession (tho, what profession is safe these days). Not to belittle those majors that are more mainstream and lucrative-i mean, if that's what you enjoy all the power to you-consider yourself lucky.
Slowly over time though i'm coming to realize or at least feel that for whatever reason my path may be different than the majority and that's not something to begrudge or fear. I shouldn't feel insignificant when I get the blank or puzzled look when I tell my major to someone-and I know they're thinking...."and what will you do with that?" I'm not 100% sure yet but whatever it'll be it's going to be good. I'll be happy, and it will make a difference/be important. I'll look back and be so glad that I didn't listen to the masses and studied what I was passionate about.

3 comments:

  1. Most people spend their entire lives working. Often doing something they don't enjoy and in the end may be filled with dread at the thought of getting up every morning to face it. It's the concept of the "golden handcuffs". They can't quit or give it up because it's all about the money (not to mention the corporate benefits). Why not find something you're passionate about so you will love what you do? Course if you could parle' that into a money making machine too well, there my friend ...is the key to happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I've been thinking about lately... diplomas don't get you a job. YOU get yourself a job. It's all about making yourself marketable no matter what major you are.

    You'd be surprised how many people in my major (Information Systems, for those of you who don't know me) are really unhappy to be there. They regret their decision, but now they're stuck...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer

    ReplyDelete