Friday, July 24, 2009

move like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Something I've realized slowly but surely over the past seven months is I'm socially off-kilter at the moment. At least, from how I normally am-not that i'm the premiere example of social normality by any means. I know that I'm an introvert and at times I don't feel like putting forth the effort to flit from person to person being all bubbly-not that I don't feel happy and warm to all just....i'm not a social butterfly. I'm a social... penguin.
No, I'm not cold, but I hear that they pick a mate and stick with them for life-don't change up like most other animals, anyway, so i'm more like that-i get my core group, my comfort zone, and stick with them. Anywho, I know people talk about how people can be kind of weird when they get back from a mission (socially speaking). I'm not saying i'm the awkward rm, it's just...i've realized that it seems I feel more comfortable chatting it up with people way older than me than people my own age now. Then again, it's hard to really test this out because I'm kind of socially isolated at the moment and have been so maybe that's it....it's just....i dunno.

On the mission we rarely spoke with people our own age on a regular basis-to be honest we were actually always talking wtih grandmas and middle aged people. So I sort of adopted social habits that older people would appreciate-i'm good at finding interest in things that, prolly before the mission i would have been bored with fairly quickly. Now, I can listen to people's life stories etc. and genuinely be engaged in it. The only thing being, people my age don't talk like that-it's a total diff ball game and I guess I'm just out of practice or something.

I mean, socializing can't be something you forget can it? Like riding a bike I would think....ya know,...talking being kind of up there.
It's just something I noticed while driving the other day (that's when I do most of my noticing/realizing). I just seem to feel more at ease when talking to slightly older people-i'm not talking about grandmas etc but ya know, 30s etc. Which is funny cause i'm sure all these older people are thinking-this is just some kid, but with people my age i'm thinking what do i talk about? (of course all my friends are excluded from all of this).
I'm sure it's just the fact that I've been home, out of regular social circles after REALLY being out of reg. social circles and i'll normal...fy...upon returning to said circles.
see? not awkward at all.

(p.s. could you feel the warm homey feel of this entry? i thought so, yea, it was written on my laptop which for the moment is running fine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment