Wednesday, July 29, 2009

words of wisdom from the holiday

"Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend. "
"You're supposed to be the leading lady in your own life"

This quote is speaking directly to me. I was the "best friend" in the group of my friends and I liked it-there was always some kind of cool drama going on and frankly their lives just seemed more interesting. I think I realized my problem when I caught myself thinking: I think I could enjoy being single for a long time as long as I had a good core group of friends...like i could just live through them etc. Obviously this is not the best plan to have and this next semester is really gonna have a lot of firsts in it-i can feel it.
For the first time I'm going out there without that core group of friends and for the first time i'm not going to try to scurry to find that core group and quickly hide in it, but really try to focus in on my life and what's happening in it-what i want to do and be and where i want to end up/taking control and stop living through other people. If friends happen to move away, get married, etc. i don't want to feel like suddenly my life is empty because my source of experience is gone-i need to get out there and experience for myself and start living it up and see where i end up. (it's just hard peeling yourself off the wall when you've been there for so long ;)

1 comment: